동영상강좌
  CF로 배우는영어
  생활속표현
  영어뉴스
  오디오*비디오 수업
  오늘의 동영상
  강사가 들려주는 금주의 명언
홈 > 커뮤니티 > 오늘의 동영상   
 
Never Eat The ‘Clean’ Part Of Moldy Bread
관리자 2021-03-31 오후 1:18:39 345

 

Description:

It’s not safe to eat bread or fruit contaminated with mold, even if you cut away

the moldy parts. When mold reproduces, it spreads throughout your food, 

hiding in places you can't see. And while many species of mold are harmless,

others can make you very sick. It's just not worth the risk.

 

Transcription: 

You're all ready to make the sandwich of your dreams. Turkey, tomato, and Swiss

on a bed of romaine lettuce sandwiched between two slices of sourdough.

Classic, but oh no! What's this? Mold? Ugh. But look, good news, the mold's only

on part of the bread so I could just cut that away and be fine, right?

There's no such thing as a clean part of moldy bread. That's because mold 

is a fungus like mushrooms. The caps on the surface are easy enough to spot,

but there's a vast network of subterranean roots called hyphae that you can't see.

So let's take another look at that bread of yours. Ugh, disgusting. Well, maybe you 

can just grab another piece from the same loaf. Well, that's not such a good idea,

either. because by the time the mold sprouts its fuzzy head, what you're really

seeing is the reproductive part of the mold called sporangiums. Each sporangium

releases tens of thousands of spores, so even though you can't see it, 

that entire loaf could be teeming with fungus. But it seems like such a waste to

just throw it out. After all, you eat mold on purpose all the time like the mold that 

goes into making cheese, soy sauce, and even life-saving antibiotics like penicillin.

Eating a little bit on your bread can't be that bad, right? Well, ultimately, 

it's a gamble.Just like eating a wild mushroom many are fine, but some can

be deadly.Mold is the same way. There are thousands of different species of

mold many of which are harmless to humans. But since so many types can 

sprout up on food,it's nearly impossible to know if what you're eating is safe. 

Cladosporium, for example, can sometimes trigger allergies but is generally 

harmless, whereas other molds like Penicillium crustosum produce harmful poisons 

called Mycotoxins.An elderly couple in 2005, for example, was admitted to the 

hospital after eating a can of soup contaminated with this kind of mold. 

They had severe muscle tremors but eventually recovered. But other molds,

like Rhizopus stolonifer, can have permanent effects, and you might recognize

this mold since it commonly grows on bread. Blue green with black splotches 

and super fuzzy. In rare cases, it can prompt a deadly infection called 

Zygomycosis, which causes your blood to clot and can ultimately starve your 

cells of oxygen to the point that they die.And it's not like bacteria, 

where a little heat will eliminate the threat, because high temperatures 

won't break down the Mycotoxins. And since you have no clue which one 

you're about to put in your mouth, ask yourself is it really worth the risk? 


Questions: 

1. Why can't we eat the clean part of Moldy Bread?

2. What is a mold?

3. What moldy food that we can eat?


첨부파일 Uploaded File : 20210331131838_GEZIX.jpg  
Which type of milk is best for you? - Jonathan J. O’Sullivan & Grace E. Cunningham
Why Did the Mexican Jumping Bean Jump? | Deep Look