Seoul subways upgraded with wider seats, air filters
Seoul subway trains will have wider seats and a fine dust filtering system in each carriage, Seoul Metro said on Monday. The new trains will have six seats in a row instead of the current seven, making each seat 4.5 cm wider. The doors connecting carriages will also be made wider from the current 75cm to 120cm to accommodate disabled people in wheelchairs.
They will also be equipped with an air purifier to improve the air quality on the train. LED light bulbs will be used in headlights, carriages, and doors for greater energy efficiency. These changes were already partly applied to 50 new carriages on Line No. 2 last year, and 150 more carriages will be replaced with new ones on the same line this year. Seoul Metro plans to replace 1,914 carriages out of 3,550 by 2024.
1. What are the improvements made on subway trains?
2. What are the pink chairs for?
3. Do like the subway services? Why or why not?
4. How can we make the trains better?
5. How often do you ride the subway? What's the best kind of transportation? Why?
1. air purifier - is a device which removes contaminants from the air in a room
2. accommodate - (of physical space, especially a building) provide lodging or sufficient space fo